Sunday, April 14, 2013

Clean Car, Clear Head

If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I love my cars like children (not that I have any children to love, but that's not the point). I'm one of those people who tends to treat their car better than they treat themselves. As a matter of fact, as we speak, I am typing this on my iPhone from the backseat of my car. You know, when the inspiration hits you've just got to go with it.

You see, in sitting in the backseat of my ten year old Japanese luxury car, I can't help but think of sitting in my boyfriend's Pontiac grand am just yesterday. Both cars are roughly the same age, both have roughly the same amount of miles. In fact, one of the only things separating the two is the maintenance that both have undergone throughout their lives.

Take a seat in Mckinlee's car and, if you're like me, you can't help but be taken aback by the state of it. Dirty, hazy windows, stained carpet, broken dashboard, trash on the floor, the lot. Now, I'm not trying to bash on him in any way. I know that his car has experiences several accidents and many different drivers throughout its life. However, I can't help but think that a large amount of the wear and tear that's occurred could have been prevented.

Being the realist I am, I know that most people tend to fall more into the "Mckinlee Car Care" category nowadays. My mind works so much differently though.

First and foremost, I see my car as an extension of myself. Being a victim of society, I want people to see my car and myself and form a positive opinion of me because of it. I guess it's kind of like making a good first impression.

Secondly, I like to think its just because I care about cars in general that I want to see them in the nicest condition possible. It would give me great joy to have Mckinlee's car for the day and just do a complete overhaul. That's not likely to happen though.

This brings me to a third reason, which is that I simply find joy in cleaning my car. People who find joy in washing their cars have always been portrayed as a bit psycho, and I don't necessarily disagree with that. I'm not proud, but on the other hand, I am.

All of these things come together to create the car care standards I hold myself to. I know that everyone is different, but I don't see an extra few minutes devoted to car care hurting anyone either. Your car might even last longer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment