Sunday, March 31, 2013

Weekly Sightings

Well hello again everyone. I apologize for the lag in service, but believe me, I have been plenty busy with school and other things. On this Sunday morning I'd like to introduce something new. From now on, I'll have a weekly series highlighting the interesting cars and car-related things I see on a daily basis. Due to the nature of modern technology and my own personality, I usually end up taking pictures of many automotive things that catch my eye. Here are a few of them.

You need not be too keen of a viewer to recognize this gem. It is of course a second generation Mazda RX-7; a car that I've always been rather fond of. Sadly, however, many of these Mazdas (produced from 1987 to 1992) have fallen into disrepair. This one is no exception. It makes me happy to see that it's still out and about though


Next up is another classic. I spotted this one in front of YourPie and had to snap a couple of pictures for my dad. From the time period that brought us Journey and the cassette tape, we also have the Honda Civic. Obviously, this was not the first generation, but it's old enough to be a rare sight in any condition.



In addition to interesting cars, I also like to capture interesting vanity plates. Here in Georgia they call them "prestige" plates and for an extra $55 a year, whatever fits within the seven character limit, isn't already taken, and is deemed acceptable by the government is free to display on the back of your car. With that information it is certainly easy to see why most vanity plates either end up as something only the owner can understand or something that is blindly obvious or mind-numbingly stupid. That being said, every now and then, a truly clever vanity plate pops up. It took me a minute to get this one, but once I did, I congratulated the owner on his thoughtfulness.


Taking a step back to the uncommon, I just had to get a picture of this. Second only to the Honda Civic (probably) in the super-modified-import-tuner-whatever-you-want-to-call-it category has always been the Nissan 240SX. Highly uncommon are those occasions where you do come across a stock one in nice condition, and this car was one of those exceptions.


Way back in the day Chevrolet used to be synonymous with the muscle car movement. Chevelles, Novas, and Camaros blasted down the drag strips and desolate streets of sleeping towns, and most of these aforementioned models carried the coveted SS badge. SS is of course a Chevrolet staple and was once used to denote only its most highly-coveted models. Nowadays, though, the SS badge, along with some big alloys and different bumpers, can be slapped on any Chevrolet vehicle. Case and point, this Malibu SS I discovered. At first I thought it was someone's homemade attempt at an SS, but no. Apparently this was in fact a production model. Oh the shame.



This brings us to today, which was absolutely beautiful. Sunny, 75, and slightly breezy; the perfect day for a convertible. And sure enough, I came across a very nice example of a proper roadster. This S2000 was not only finished in the appropriate Grand Prix White, but it also sat lowered on some lovely wheels.


My last sighting of the week is one that is not all that exciting, however I do believe it's pretty rare. Of all the new BMWs I see on the roads, I have only ever seen a few wagons. This is one of those few, a black 3 series with an impressive roof rack.


Well that appears to be all for this week. If you enjoyed this, be sure to tune in next week. You are also welcomed to send in some of your own street sightings if you so wish; I would really appreciate it and it would be included in my next blog post!

0 comments:

Post a Comment