Friday, September 21, 2012

You Like THAT?

You wonderful ladies and gentlemen are familiar with estates, correct? No, not like Clarkson's place in Chipping Norton. Maybe the term wagon is more familiar to you; those of you who are state-side, anyways. The unhappy truth, for whatever reason, is that the majority of my fellow citizens don't seem to share my sentiment when it comes to a four door with ample storage space. Maybe they just don't get it; maybe I do; maybe i'm just crazy. Whatever the reason, this societal disinterest in the wagon has ultimately lead to the Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake not being available in this country for at least the foreseeable future.
I'm not just writing this about one car, but a style that has always seemed to fly under the radar, to remain unpopular, to be a niche (as Chris Harris has conveniently referred to the new Benz). But why? Your typical wagon has as much; sometimes more; storage space then the comparable SUV and achieves world's better fuel economy. I feel like the answer lies in the social construction of our society. For whatever reason, sport utilities have been deemed "cool" while wagons have been deemed just the opposite.
I feel like, to truly understand the appeal of the wagon, you have to be somewhat of a car enthusiast; someone who appreciates performance, styling, and practicality in a car. Which is why I bring us back to the CLS63 Shooting Brake. In my opinion, this is the finest example of an estate yet. Sure the engine is insane, but not as insane as it's badged even. The twin turbo V8 has a much smaller displacement paired with a start-stop feature, so combined fuel economy is not as painful as you would imagine. The cargo bay boasts more storage space with the back seats up or down than any competitor in it's class. By far the most important though is the exterior styling, which makes the awe-inspiring sedan look second best. It truly is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen.
Like I've said before, maybe I'm just insane in the head, but I know for a fact that least some people share my seemingly deranged point of view. For me, a wagon has appeal because it is different; it's not the most common nor the most sought after, and that, I believe, is why it's so great.

0 comments:

Post a Comment