Sunday, October 10, 2010

I was thinking the other day (quite dangerous, I know); and the question came up of how did someone, one single person, come up with the idea of an engine, one of the most complicated mechanical things ever. Then someone else came behind them, and came up with the idea to make an entire car. Two axles with wheels that were somehow powered by this internal combustion engine, and now you could be transported with much more ease and comfort than the alternative at the time, a horse. Then you look at what cars are today. Even the bottom-of-the-line base model Kias now have airbags, electric windows and locks, and anti-lock brakes. I myself am a "big picture person," looking at how all of these little pieces come together to make an entire thing (car, television, what have you) work. I have to say, the car is the most fascinating example in my opinion. And the fact that someone thought up the idea of controlling explosions and pistons and all of these little things that could go together to ulimately propel a vehicle, almost 200 years ago. Amazing.

Now of course, there is a Top Gear episode that goes right along with this, and is much more entertaining than my little musing.. Enjoy:

0 comments:

Post a Comment